Friday 25 September 2015

Texturing the Protagonist

Now that the model is finished, I can begin the unwrapping process. Unwrapping the model is basically creating a net like in mathematics; a map of all the model's faces so that they fit into a 2D plane. This is called unwrapping because you basically unwrap the model until it is flat, allowing you to draw on it using your program of choice (usually Photoshop), but I am using a newer technique I've learned with involved basically painting a pre-made image (called a texture) onto the model and then painting different textures onto the model in layers to achieve the desired effect.

As I want my robots to appear as though they are very old and have been going a long time, I have started out by painting the entire model with a layer of rust, which will be an undercoat of the whole model. Once I have finished this, I will paint a silver scratched metal texture over most of the parts, leaving rust on the edges and in the corners where paint would have chipped off and rust would have formed. A layer colour will then be painted (4 different versions, one for each colour of robot) and then some final details will be applied, such as warning stickers, wires and other small effects.



No comments:

Post a Comment